Aug 22, 2009

My Ironman Canada race plan

This is more or less a living post. One I'll likely change a few times as I get my thoughts together.

Race plan:

Swim - off the back, find a rhythm, survive :-) Goal time 1:20. I'm not a fast swimmer.

Bike - 75 to 80 percent effort throughout. I like to hammer the bike, so I'll need to set my HR monitor to alert so I don't over do it. Goal time 6:30 - 7:00. I may be faster, but only if I'm able to pick up speed on the flats or downhills without pushing my HR.

Run - Easy out. I'm confident the first 6 or 8 miles will feel OK. The first half should be alright. The last half is the great unknown. All I know is I've suffered through a marathon before and managed a 4:11. Goal time is 5:00.

Overall strategy - keep the pace real, keep the nutrition on track, finish with a smile under 15 hours. I think a window of 13:30 to 15:00 is where I'll end up, I'd love to hit 13:30, but I'll take 16:59.

Nutrition plan:

Pre race - oatmeal and 1 bottle nuun breakfast 2 hours before race. 1 hour before 1 bottle of Gatorade. 15 minutes before race, 1 gel.

Swim - I'll bring a gel, just in case.

Bike - 1 bottle Gatorade immediately. Alternating nuun with gel/powerbar/banana and gatorade every 20 mins. First 2 hours I'll try to get an extra gel in to load up in case the last 2 hours on the bike are hard on the stomach.

Run - 1 bottle nuun, 1 bottle gatorade per hour. gatorade at 00 and :20, shotblocks/gel on the :40. sips of Nuun every :10

No comments: