Sep 12, 2009

Reflecting and planning

2 weeks ago, I finished IMC. Now what?

I've embraced the post-Ironman recovery period and pretty much focused on catching up on the to-do lists at home and work. Today I went for a 5k run and felt good while I was out, but afterwards I was surprised at how fatigued I was. I guess I'll still be taking it easy for another week.

Shifting from 10 months of always training to suddenly not training has been interesting. I find myself wondering what run I have to do today, or thinking about pool schedules while I run errands. Training has become so hard wired into my daily thought processes that I have to force myself to focus on the downtime as much as would focus on a workout plan. To get an idea of just how much training I did, I pulled up my log from November to race day - here it is:

Bike - Commuter

132 miles

10:05:00

11.14 mph avg

Bike - Mountain

100.16

11:12:00

8.94 mph avg

Bike - Road

1265.9 Miles

83:25:55

15.17 mph avg

Bike - Trainer

720.04 Miles

47:55:23

15.03 mph avg

Run

818.63 Miles

119:48:20

8:47 per mile avg

Swim

99400 Yards

39:19:58

2:22 per 100 yds avg

Total Time

311 Hours, 46 Mins



Some folks worked out more than that, some less. I'm pretty sure I won't see workout volumes that high until again until the kids are out of the house. My next Ironman will likely be in 2020 :-)

What's next? I've thought about this quite a bit. The Seattle marathon comes to mind, but it falls on a bad week. My next long race will likely be Nookachamps, that way I have a reason to train through the winter. Cyclocross looks like fun, so do winter tri's and Biathlon. The only thing I know at the moment is I don't want to ride my road bike, and the dirt is calling me. There's a great off road duathlon in Bellingham in a few weeks, maybe I'll do that. I don't have a real plan yet, but it will come along.

2 comments:

IronMoe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
IronMoe said...

Nice job in Canada! It says your account is inactive...now just because you're in recovery, I wouldn't call that INACTIVE, LOL!!!